Do You Know the Importance of Short-Term Vacation Rental Insurance?

Our BIG events are coming back…do you know what that means?

Property owners will be renting their Short-Term Rentals again!

YES you will need a Short-Term Vacation Rental Policy if you decide to rent your house or condo for a couple days, the weekend or weekly.

You may think you’re covered in the event of a fire, or damage, theft or liability through your homeowner’s insurance policy. NOPE…not the case!

Homeowners usually don’t realize is that their homeowners’ insurance most likely will NOT cover them if a problem arises if they rent their home short-term.

A typical homeowners insurance covers owner-occupied structures, your personal property such as furniture, TV’s, clothes, personal liability for lawsuits and medical bills resulting from injuries which could happen on your property.

  • If you decide to rent your house or condo for the weekend or week you will need to purchase a Short-Term Vacation Rental Policy.
  • Keep in mind this in NOT the same thing as a “landlord policy”, which is for a long-term lease.
  • Renting the home you live in for a weekend or a week has different insurance requirements than if you were to have a long-term rental.
  • When you rent your home long term the risk is not as high as if you are renting it short term. Most homes, when rented long term, have minimal appliances and furniture. When you rent the home you are living in it will most likely have all your furniture and personal possessions in it.
  • Your primary homeowners’ insurance policy will not offer protection if you decide to rent out the home you live in.

Be sure you check with your insurance agent BEFORE you make any changes or decisions no matter how small or insignificant you think a situation might be.

Call Motz-Rusin Insurance Agency @ 760-564-3888 or go to for any questions regarding renting your property as a Short-Term Rental

License #0M26924

This article is for general informational purposes only and does not provide details of what you need to do to protect your assets.