I am sure by now most of the residents of the Coachella Valley have “Heard the Buzz” about renting your home or condo for the BIG concerts, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival & Stagecoach Festival, hoping to make a few extra bucks for the weekend.
Something homeowners usually don’t think about is that their homeowners’ insurance most likely will not cover them if a problem arises if they rent their home short term. They assume their homeowner’s insurance policy will cover their property in case of a fire, theft, damage or a liability claim.
- Homeowners insurance covers owner-occupied structures, your personal property such as furniture, TV’s, clothes, personal liability for lawsuits and medical bills resulting from injuries which could happen on your property.
- If you decide to rent your house or condo for the weekend or week you will need to purchase a Short-Term Vacation Rental Policy.
- Keep in mind this in NOT the same thing as a “landlord policy”, which is for a long-term lease.
- Renting the home you live in for a weekend or a week has different insurance requirements than if you were to have a long-term rental.
- When you rent your home long term the risk is not as high as if you are renting it short term. Most homes, when rented long term, have minimal appliances and furniture. When you rent the home you are living in it will most likely have all your furniture and personal possessions in it.
- Your primary homeowners’ insurance policy will not offer protection if you decide to rent out the home you live in.
Be sure you check with your insurance agent BEFORE you make any changes or decisions no matter how small or insignificant you think a situation might be.
Call Motz-Rusin Insurance Agency @ 760-564-3888 or go to www.MotzRusin.com for any questions regarding renting your house/condo as a short-term rental.