Why Would I Need My Own Insurance If I Rent Space in a Salon?

A salon provides a variety of services to its clients such as hair coloring, cuts, manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing, massages, etc.

Most salon owners who rent space do not provide insurance for independent contractors, which could put you financially at risk by not having insurance.

As a self-employed independent contractor, it is recommended that you have your own insurance, because even the most careful, skilled cosmetologists have had insurance claims.

What Types of Liability Insurance I should have?

The most common types of Liability Insurance for a cosmetologist is General Liability and Professional Liability.

  • General Liability Insurance is going to cover you from certain lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage that occurred as the result of your business operations, such as: if a client were to slip and fall and get hurt while in your salon or a stylist ruins a client’s personal property. In some cases, a hairdresser or esthetician may make a house call, especially for a special event. If your hairdresser or esthetician causes property damage, your insurance can cover that damage.

  • Professional Liability Insurance is sometimes referred to as “malpractice insurance,” in the cosmetology industry. Professional Liability Insurance protects you and your business for loss or expense resulting from claims of professional errors, mistakes, or failure to perform professional duties committed or supposed to have been committed by the insured in his or her professional services. In other words, in the event something should go wrong with your service due to a professional mistake or act of negligence, a client can file a Professional Liability claim.

You should also be aware that Professional Liability Insurance for beauty salons does not cover everything. There are certain risky treatments and procedures such as laser hair removal, permanent makeup, piercings, etc.… that are normally excluded from coverage.

Talk to your insurance agent to be sure you are properly covered.

This article is for information purposes only.

For further information contact Motz-Rusin Insurance Agency in Palm Desert at 760-564-3888 or go to www.MotzRusin.com

#SalonInsurance #GeneralLiabilityInsurance #ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance #LiabilityInsurance #Insurance #RentalInsurance

License #OM26924